Laser Skin Resurfacing Can Help Fade Away Brown Spots on the Face
Brown spots, also known as hyperpigmentation, can impact our appearance and make us feel self-conscious. But what causes these spots to appear? And how do treatments like laser skin resurfacing help? Licensed aesthetician and certified laser technician Lori Alessandrini can address these concerns and more during a consultation in Charlotte, NC.
Want to get rid of dark spots? Call Essential Aesthetics and Laser to book an appointment today. Our custom treatments can reveal a more even-toned complexion that patients love.
What causes brown spots?
Many factors contribute to the formation of freckles and brown spots, including:
- Age: Our skin produces less collagen as we enter our 30s, a protein that gives skin elasticity and firmness. This gradual thinning can reveal darker areas that were previously less visible.
- Sun exposure: Harmful UV rays stimulate the production of melanin, the pigment known for creating skin color. Prolonged sun exposure can cause freckles to become more pronounced, especially on lighter skin tones.
- Hormone changes: Fluctuations in hormone levels during pregnancy or menopause also lead to hyperpigmentation. These brown spots are also called melasma. Sometimes hormone-based contraceptives can have the same effect.
- Acne scars: Dark spots can appear even after acne breakouts have faded away. People with a long history of acne are more likely to develop scarring and other long-lasting marks.
How does laser skin resurfacing work?
Certified laser technician Lori Alessandrini uses pulsating beams of light to remove damaged surface layers and stimulate cell turnover, revealing smoother, more youthful skin beneath. The Alma Hybrid™ is a customizable technology and combines non-ablative and CO2 ablative laser energy to produce results. Our patients in Charlotte, NC report significantly reduced brown spots after just a few treatments.
Is skin resurfacing painful?
Our laser skin resurfacing procedures are safe and virtually painless. We begin by carefully applying a topical numbing cream to your skin so you won't feel any discomfort. Your appointment may take up to 45 minutes and shouldn't interrupt your day. Additional laser sessions may be necessary to achieve the desired results, but we can discuss follow-up visits with you during an initial consultation.
How to prevent brown spots from forming
Though the results of laser skin resurfacing are long-lasting, they don't necessarily prevent new dark spots from developing in the future. Here are several helpful ways to protect your skin:
- Wear sunscreen even on cloudy days. Limit exposure to UV rays and opt for a sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB radiation.
- Avoid tanning beds and artificial sources of light. Tanning booths are especially harmful to your skin and should be avoided whenever possible.
- Stay out of direct sunlight between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This is when the sun's rays are most potent and damaging.
- Use products with natural ingredients that can help lighten dark spots. Vitamin C is a great way to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
No more dark spots
When freckles and dark areas keep you from feeling confident about your appearance, turn to Essential Aesthetics and Laser. Our personalized laser skin resurfacing procedures can fade away brown spots and other common cosmetic issues in Charlotte, NC. Call to book an assessment with licensed aesthetician and certified laser technician Lori Alessandrini. We'll be happy to answer any questions and help you uncover a smoother, brighter complexion.