How Long Does Skin Take to Heal After Laser Tattoo Removal?
Tattoos are a popular form of body modification, but what if you change your mind? Laser tattoo removal is a safe, effective way to remove unwanted ink. Though recovery time varies based on the size and complexity of the tattoo, most people take 6 – 8 weeks to heal. Licensed aesthetician and certified laser technician Lori Alessandrini can provide a more accurate estimate during a consultation.
Essential Aesthetics and Laser has helped countless men and women address outdated tattoos with the powerful PicoSure® laser. Call now to book an appointment in Charlotte, NC, and see why so many people trust us with their aesthetic needs.
What happens during PicoSure laser tattoo removal?
For many, tattoos no longer represent their views on life as they age and grow. Others want to lighten or reduce the visibility of an existing tattoo before getting a new one. No matter the reason, laser procedures are growing in popularity. Laser treatment involves emitting pulses of light energy into the skin. This process breaks down the ink particles into tiny fragments that are naturally absorbed and dispelled by the body. Tattoos generally fade away after several (usually 4 – 5) sessions. Appointments for ink removal take about ten minutes or less, depending on the size of the tattoo.
Is laser tattoo removal a safe process?
Some people are concerned about the risks involved with laser treatment. Rest assured that all patients undergo an assessment to ensure their candidacy for the PicoSure laser. As long as you have healthy skin and follow all pre-and-post-treatment instructions, you should not experience any severe side effects or complications.
Most laser technologies use heat to break down ink particles, leading to some discomfort in the treatment area. Instead, Essential Aesthetics and Laser offers advanced laser systems like PicoSure, which don't generate heat. This leaves the skin surrounding the tattoo unharmed.
How long does recovery take after PicoSure?
Certified laser technician Lori Alessandrini can provide an estimate for recovery during your first appointment in Charlotte, NC. Though it takes 6 – 8 weeks to fully heal after laser tattoo removal, the exact time depends on factors such as:
- The size and complexity of the tattoo
- The color of the ink
- Your individual skin health
- The number of treatments needed to achieve results
- Compliance with pre-and-post-treatment instructions
How to speed up healing after laser sessions
There are ways to speed up healing after ink removal, especially when minor side effects like redness and swelling are expected. Follow these simple tips, and you should be feeling better in no time:
- Clean the treatment area with a mild cleanser: Our team can recommend specific products that are free from harsh chemicals or exfoliants. Avoid overwashing, as this could irritate the delicate skin.
- Apply a thin layer of moisturizer: Moisturizing keeps your skin hydrated and promotes natural healing after laser treatment. It can also be beneficial for reducing redness and itching.
- Avoid sun exposure: UV rays lead to complications like discoloration and scarring. Protect your skin with sunscreen and cover the area with clothing when spending time outdoors.
Safe, effective ink removal with our team
Laser tattoo removal is a delicate process that requires the expertise of a professional. Reach out to Essential Aesthetics and Laser in Charlotte, NC, and book a consultation with licensed aesthetician and certified laser technician Lori Alessandrini. Our PicoSure laser is a top choice for virtually painless and effective ink removal.